NEW UPDATED SITE!!!

My blog has moved to Wordpress! You will be redirected in 5 seconds. If not, click here.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You’re eating to be a habit with me…

A New day, a new list:

1 6 oz. lowfat yoplait peach yogurt, 1 light fat-free vanilla yogurt, one large baked potato with cheese sour cream and bacos, 3 oz, tootsie roll, 1 blueberry lowfat yogurt, 3 chicken and cheese taquitos with cheese and sour cream, jr. bacon cheeseburger, crispy chicken sandwich, fries, 1/2 sm. chocolate frosty, Diet Coke.

I’ve been very pleased with some of the nice comments I’ve received about my blog.  This is only the third week and I’ve had many wonderful notes from friends all over.  I really appreciate it.  I will probably need more of this as I start to get down to the really hard part of this whole goal: cutting back and exercising. I’m surprised and then again I’m not at the amount of food I eat.  I mean, I am maintaining a fat body, not gaining or losing at the moment.  Keeping this big a body going takes a lot of food.  I know that if I cut back I would lose.  I know that if I exercised, I would lose.  I know that if I do both I will lose a whole lot faster.  As you can guess from reading my previous posts, knowing is not the problem. 

Doing is the part that we all fail at when we fail to lose weight.  Knowing is actually the easiest part.  I know that I have a problem when I look in the mirror each morning and evening.  I know that what I am eating is slowly killing me.  But habit is a hard thing to break.  I’m worked for 20+ long years on this habit of eating anything and everything in sight.  I worked very hard to build up this habit to the point that I don’t have to think about it at all.  I just do it.  As fat people we often wonder how the skinny people do it.  They do it the same way we do, they just do it through different habits.  Their habits involve daily exercise and portion control.  They include better foods and more variety.  My diet is surprisingly bland and devoid of variety.  My habits are set in fairly restricting ways.

So how do you change habits?  They say that if you can do something consistently for two weeks, it becomes a habit.  I’m not sure I believe that completely.  There are a lot of things I have tried consistently for two or more weeks that never became habits for me.  But the idea is sound.  It is something that you have enough conviction to keep doing.  And if you fail once or twice, you don’t give up on.  I switched from regular soda to diet about two years ago.  I think, in that time, I have had perhaps 10 regular sodas.  Now, I drink waaaaay to much soda as it is, but the one small consolation (justification) that I have is that it is diet.

Yoda said, “Do or do not.  There is no try.”  Well, frankly Yoda wasn’t twice his size with a BMI of 40+.  I don’t think those Jedi skills of his would have been all that keen if he was hauling around a 400+ lbs carcass.  Let’s see little Luke hoist that on his shoulders!  One trip and goodbye Dagobah!  He would have thrown the whole planet out of orbit.  I feel that way sometimes.  I feel that way when I am in an opera rehearsal, surrounded by thin, active people.  I feel like the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about.  I am very appreciative of directors who are not afraid of my size.  That’s the only way I get out of the back of the whole stage to do anything.

Today’s quote:

“Albert Einstein, who discovered that a tiny amount of mass is equal to a huge amount of energy, which explains why, as Einstein himself so eloquently put it in a famous 1939 speech to the Physics Department at Princeton, "You have to exercise for a week to work off the thigh fat from a single Snickers."  ~Dave Barry, Dave Barry Turns 50”

No comments: