NEW UPDATED SITE!!!

My blog has moved to Wordpress! You will be redirected in 5 seconds. If not, click here.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tell me what you eat, I'll tell you who you are. ~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

So here we are at Day Two.  To start, as I said I would, a list of what I ate yesterday (in no particular order):

2-6 oz. Blueberry Yoplait yogurts, 1 slice Carrot Cake, 2 chicken roll-ups, 1 c. cottage cheese, 7 mint truffle Hershey’s Kisses, 1/3 c. Bacos, 12 oz. V-8, 1 medium slice cheese pizza, 1 medium slice sausage pizza, 44 oz. Diet Coke, 1 Wendy’s Chicken Club sandwich, and a large fries.

Kinda scary when you stop and look at it.  I promised myself I would be painfully truthful in these posts.  You will notice the 1/3 c. of Bacos.  I love Bacos.  I love bacon, but Bacos are like culinary landmines. They are a kind of soy protein flavored with smoke and artificial bacon flavor.  They contain no meat or animal fats.  They leave a odd taste in your mouth, and every once in a while I get the most unbearable craving to snack on them.  I very seldom have them around for this very reason.  I found them in the back of my desk drawer from some time a few months ago when I got them to have with baked potatoes.  No baked potato is complete without them, in my opinion. But they should not be snacked on.  It’s a very scary thing!

I have received many lovely comments from dear friends since I started this blog only yesterday, and for that I am very thankful.  I am pleased that you all are so supportive.  One comment I got, though, said I should have named the blog differently. It should have more humor and more fun.  I want to assure you all that I intend to be as light and funny as I can in these posts.  I hope that my own good humor comes through in these posts, but I stand by the title “Hey, Fatso…!”  I am fond of saying that I know that I am fat.  I don’t need people to tell me this.  But for many years, ever since I started to get fat, I have had this inner image of myself that differs quite a bit from the reality of my physical being.  In my mind, I’m fat, but not as fat as I really am.  It was always a shock to catch sight of myself in a full-length (or my case full-width) mirror.  Walking down the street, I would look over at a store window and wonder who that fat old guy was.  For years, I have not had a full-length mirror in my home.  I have not had pictures taken that included anything below my shoulders.  I lived in a world in which I was fat, but not obese. It’s time I changed that.

In the last little while, doing more shows, and especially the shows with Hunt Mysteries, I have had my picture taken a lot!  I have had publicity with my larger than life body in full display.  This has not be so comfortable for me, but it has forced me to adopt a new image of myself. One that conforms to a more correct view; a view of myself as the world sees me.  I can’t look at a picture of myself and say, “Oh, I don’t look so big.”  I have to say, in the words of Edna Mode in The Incredibles, “My g**, you’ve gotten fat!”  And so, that is why the title, that is why the honesty, that is why I need the accountability to all of you.  I have lied about my attempts to lose weight for too long.  I set goals that are unrealistic, and doom myself to fail, then console myself in Ben and Jerry’s.  But, see, now I can’t do that.  I have to set attainable goals, and report back on my success or failure. Then regroup and move forward to better and better life choices.

Please keep the comments coming.  I made sure that I don’t have to approve all comments on this blog, so it should be easier to make comments here from now on.  Thanks for all your encouragement and hopefully you won’t all get too bored with me!  I’ll try to close each blog with an interesting quote about food.  So, here goes:

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”  ~Doug Larson

1 comment:

randy said...

Smelled and tasted as good as bacon! What an honest attempt you are making. Its the old fish bowl....Sometimes we just need to find that one thing that will motivate us and I think you have found yours. I look forward to following your progress. Lunch next week!