NEW UPDATED SITE!!!

My blog has moved to Wordpress! You will be redirected in 5 seconds. If not, click here.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ramble on, my wayward son…

Another day, another post.  I’m thinking I may start something new on Fridays.  I may do a photo Friday on my post.  I’m going to try to get the photo of my raw silk suit from prom to post tomorrow.  And who knows what else may turn up.  Two years ago my mother gave me a fantastic gift for my birthday of a scrap book with tons of stuff from my childhood.  Pictures I didn’t know we still had.  Fun, wonderful stuff.

Another birthday is fast approaching.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am not big on birthdays. Most years I go past my birthday with no one noticing, or saying a word.  I have been in the various groups for years, and never a mention. I now work with some wonderful people who remember everyone’s birthday every year.  Everyone gets a cake, and everyone sings “Happy Birthday” to them.  It’s really nice.  My family always does something.  I’m not big on parties for my birthday.  I’ve never been huge on that sort of thing, but I do like getting birthday wishes on my day.  (And this is not a pander to everyone to wish me happy birthday, so don’t get any ideas.  I mean it!) 

Anyway, my wife will tell you I usually become unbearable around my birthday, getting all moody and whiney about two to three weeks before the day.  It’s not a pretty sight, and one I’m not proud of.  I don’t know why birthdays have always brought out the worst in me.  I know that lately it’s because I’m getting old, and I’m not ready or willing to deal with it.  I know, I know.  I’m only turning 45 this year.  It’s not the end of the world.  But as parts of me start to go wonky, or I at least reach the age where things start to go wonky, it becomes more and more of a concern.  I know that’s a part of it.  I think the rest of it has more to do with me not getting the attention I think (somewhere in the dark recesses of my dangerous mind) I deserve.  At least this year, I’ve been better than previous years.  And this year I’m working toward an better life.

I’ve always been a fan of British comedies.  I recently came across a short-lived show called “Kingdom.”  It starred Stephen Fry as a village lawyer.  It was a very fun show.  Somewhat drama/comedy.  Full of great British actors, it is available on Hulu.  I have always been a huge fan of Stephen Fry.  He hosts an ongoing quiz show in the UK called “QI” for Quite Interesting.  Stephen hosts, and there is one regular panelist, Alan Davies.  The rest of the panelists are made up each episode of prominent UK actors and comedians.  They have had seven seasons thus far, and the only place to watch them is on YouTube until they’re taken down.  The reason they can’t be shown in the US has to do with image and video rights.  But it is one of the smartest and funniest shows produced.  Hulu has been a boon to TV junkies like me.  (p.s. I just finished watching the last episode of “Kingdom” and I’m angry!  It ends with a cliff hanger that is unresolved! AAUURRGGHH!)

Well, another post has come and gone.  I’ve spent most of the day writing this, off and on, through breaks in the action.  I seldom go back and reread these posts.  When I do I realize how much I ramble and prattle on.  But them’s the breaks, kids.

Quote of the day:

“You can say this for ready-mixes - the next generation isn't going to have any trouble making pies exactly like mother used to make.  ~Earl Wilson”

No comments: